Sunday, December 19, 2010

Finding the path to healing


Today’s Reverb10 Prompt is a great way to reflect on yoga and the law. It states, “What healed you this year? Was it sudden, or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011?”

Lawyers like to “heal.” We see problems, and we try to fix them. That is our job. Even transactional attorneys are always thinking about potential problems and “healing” them before they occur. I know that I do not like to be in situations that I cannot fix. After all, my ultimate professional goal is to heal the family law system in this country, even though I currently have no idea how I am going to do that.

But what is healing? We think of healing disease, healing aches and pains, healing relationships, etc. True, deep healing is more than just glossing over the surface of something and getting a good outcome in court. True healing is deeper, goes to the heart (literally) and to the heart of the matter. This is where the legal system fails, at least in my opinion. We can fix problems, but do we ever reach a state of healing?

This year, I have begun to understand how I take on other peoples’ energies, their aches and pains, their joys and sorrows, etc. This has the potential to be a gift - the ability to truly understand where other people are, thus insight into how to help. It can also be a curse. There is a lot of junk in the world, and learning how to tune it out at times would be nice. But with respect to family law, it is a blessing. I can see the real problems, not the ones that show up on paper, but the ones that show up in peoples’ hearts. Unfortunately I have not found a way to translate that into actual healing.

So, personally, I’m not sure what healed for me this year. I opened up to greater community and began to seek out quality time with old friends and new. But if there is one thing I want to heal in 2011, it is my unsteadiness about the future. I know, deep down, that the answers will come. That’s the yogi in me. The lawyer in me, however, wants those answers TODAY!! I know that if I can get past that need, then the answers will come; I can already feel them. Now it’s time to understand them.

What do you want to heal? Is it personal? Is it internal or external?

Namaste and Blessings!

© 2010 Rebecca Stahl, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment